by Dave Juliano
Article courtesy of South Jersey Ghost Research
I have an affinity for stories of animals ghosts like the faithful dog returning to visit his master. I personally have experienced this with my dog Sparkee (who is featured on The Shadowlands main page) who came back 3 times to visit me and also appeared in a lucid dream. I have heard many stories about other animals returning from the grave. The most common seem to be dogs, cats, horses and birds. The experience can be auditory like hearing the jiggling of a collar and tags or hearing the animal bark, meow, etc. Others may see the animal like I did in my case. I have also heard of people feeling the animal curling up next to them in bed and not seeing anything there at the time. This brings us to the question of how is this possible? If we believe that ghosts are the spirits or souls of a deceased human being then wouldn’t that mean that the animal spirits are the same thing? Many religions do not believe that animals live on after death. I believe that certain animals, maybe even all, have a spirit that lives on. I have no doubt that what I had experienced with Sparkee was real and I’m sure all the others that have had a similar experience share this view. In fairness and keeping an open mind, I must also admit there is another popular theory concerning animal ghosts. This theory is that we give the pet, through our love and devotion, a “spirit” which is created from the energy of all-out emotions concerning that pet and out wish to see it again. I have always leaned toward the first theory of animals having souls and there are many cases of psychics contacting the deceased animals which would not be as likely if the second theory was true. I’ll leave it up to you to decide for yourself.
I do want to mention one other type of animal ghost that we see in many stories and that is one that represents some evil presence in the home. For the most part the ghosts of pets normally just show themselves to their former family. There are other cases of a somewhat more active haunting also having an animal spirit being observed. Most investigators that deal with the darker hauntings look for this as a sign that there may be an evil presence at play somewhere in the situation. The most common animals to be seen in this type of haunting are black dogs, black cats, rabbits, goats, and other small black rodent-like animals. Now they are usually seen in hauntings that do have other symptoms of a diabolical haunting so don’t assume if you see a dog ghost that you don’t know, that you have an evil spirit there, that’s jumping the gun a bit.
by Keith and Sandra Johnson
Article courtesy of NEAR Paranormal
The Demonic gains a foothold: Permission will be granted for the inhuman entity to enter. This could involve dabbling in the occult, or using divining techniques such as the Ouija board. In some cases, the permission given will not have been so obvious in the victim’s memory.
Infestation: Poltergeist-like activity generates fear, which, in turn, fuels the demonic.
Oppression: Because time has no meaning to the inhuman entity, this stage can vary from weeks to even years. Paranormal phenomenon intensifies such as the movement of objects increasing in scale and tapping or knocking becoming loud pounding. Injury without obvious cause will occur such as scratches or bites. Nightmares and sleep depravation break down the constitution of the individual. A person’s weaknesses will be targeted with the ultimate desired result on the part of the demonic: Possession
A description of someone thought to be possessed includes:
1. Violent behavior and sacrilegious outbursts
2. Aversion to the spoken name of Jesus Christ, blessed objects and holy water, etc.
3. Abnormal strength
4. Ability to speak languages never before studied
5. Psychic or paranormal abilities such as telepathy, levitation or poltergeist activity
6. Knowledge of facts about other individuals they have never met
7. Wounds appearing that are not self-inflicted or inflicted by an obvious outside source
Other phenomena associated with the presence of the demonic include repulsive odors, a marked decrease in the temperature and spontaneous movement or destruction of objects in the room of someone allegedly undergoing possession.
Theoretical differences between possession and a neurobiological disorder (NBD) such as schizophrenia:
1. Christianity: Demons and their victims are averse to anything having to do with Christianity. Individuals with NBD are often devoutly religious.
2. An inhuman entity can impart hidden knowledge such as facts about someone that the possessed person has only just met. Someone suffering from NBD will not have this access.
4. There will be paranormal phenomena that are apparent to others around the victim in a possession. In NBD, nothing in the environment will seem unusual to others.
5. Those who have experience dealing both with demon possession and individuals with mental illness believe people who claim to be possessed more than likely are not. The demonic will try to conceal its presence.
6. If prayer solves the problem, then it was probably not schizophrenia. If medication and therapy help, it was not demon possession.
Discuss this on the Demonologist’s Forum.
Sources: ‘Demonic Possession’, Melissa A. Bromwell
‘Strength for his People: A Ministry for Families of the Mentally Ill’, Dr. Steven Waterhouse
‘Shadows of the Dark’, John Zaffis and Brian McIntyre